How to Find True Fulfillment
Everyone wants a happy and meaningful life. You were created by God to find this fulfillment by knowing Him personally. God gave us His book, the Bible, so we can know Him and find true fulfillment.
The Bible teaches us four essential facts for finding true fulfillment.
Fact #1 (Good News)
God loves us and wants us to find true fulfillment in Him.
Jesus said, "God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:16*).
Jesus also said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10). God does not want anyone to live a sinful life and go to Hell, but to trust Jesus as Savior and be prepared for Heaven.
According to the Bible, God can fulfill us with His:
- Love - He really cares about you.
- Security - He really cares about what happens to you.
- Significance - He really cares about your extreme value.
- Peace - He really cares about your problems.
- Purpose - He really cares about your finding fulfillment.
- Future - He really cares about your eternal destiny.
Fact #2 (Bad News)
Our sin has separated us from God, denying us true fulfillment.
The Bible says, "We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way" (Isaiah 53:6). "Your sins have separated you from your God" (Isaiah 59:2). "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).
Consciously and unconsciously we have rebelled against God. We have failed to be what God wants us to be and to do what God wants us to do. Because God is righteous, He must judge us for our sin. As a result, the penalty of sin is death. As long as sin separates us from God we cannot find true fulfillment.
Fact #3 (Good News)
God has provided forgiveness and true fulfillment through the death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ.
The Bible says, "God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). "Christ died for our sins . . . He was buried . . . He was raised on the third day" (I Corinthians 15:3-4). Christ's death on the cross fully satisfies God's righteous demands for all sinners who place their faith in Christ as their Substitute and Savior. "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed" (I Peter 2:24).
Fact #4 (Good News or Bad News depending on my response)
To find true fulfillment I must turn from sin and receive Jesus Christ by faith as my Savior and Lord.
The Bible tells us: "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'" (John 14:6). "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved" (Acts 16:31). "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (Romans 10:13).
What is faith? We exercise faith when we depend on a doctor or believe in a friend. So faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is trusting Him to forgive your sins and to bring you into a right relationship with God. Only then can you discover life's true fulfillment.
You may choose to use a prayer like this to express your decision to God:
"Dear Father, I admit that I'm a sinner and unable to find true fulfillment on my own. I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for me. I am willing to turn from my sins and to trust Jesus Christ to forgive my sins this very moment. I now receive Him who died in my place and rose again to be my Savior. Come into my life right now, Lord Jesus, and let me begin a meaningful and fulfilled life with You today. Amen."
If you have just prayed sincerely to receive Jesus as your Savior, you have just been born again into God's Family! What joy and true fulfillment now is yours!
What happens when you open your heart to Christ?
- The Lord Jesus comes into your life. (Revelation 3:20)
- You become a child of God. (John 1:12)
- Your sins are forgiven. (Ephesians 1:7)
- You have eternal life. (John 5:24)
- You begin the truly fulfilled life. (Philippians 3:8)
Here are some suggestions for your spiritual growth and further discovery of your fulfilled life in Christ:
- Study the Bible daily to learn more about your amazing Lord and how you can discover God's fulfilling plan for your life. (I Peter 2:2)
- Rely on the Holy Spirit who now indwells you and who will empower you as a Christian to do what God's Word teaches you. (Galatians 5:16)
- Speak often with God by prayer. Express to Him your gratitude and talk to Him about all your needs and concerns. (Philippians 4:6-7)
- Meet with others who have trusted the Lord Jesus Christ in a church where the Bible is taught. You are now a part of God's Family. Don't go it alone. (Hebrews 10:25)
- Help others to know God personally. (Matthew 28:19-20)
- Trust God daily to direct your life into true fulfillment. (John 15:5)
Copyright (c) James A. Reese, Used by permission.
All Scripture quotations are from the New International Version of the Bible.